3K views

I purchased 3 consecutive rebuilt alternators which #1 was replaced the first week.#2 lasted for a short while and had to be replaced,it was refunded.#3 was then tried and it was found to be defective,putting out 18 volts,fried a new battery as well.I had #3 rebuilt by a reputable professional,it works fine now.O'Reilly's refused to give me a refund for Alternator #3,even with proof that it was rebuilt.It didn't even phase them that it also fried a new battery.I would not recommend to anyone that O'Reilly's stands behind what they sell.My Alternator had a Lifetime Warranty which they made mention of that fact when purchased.

Had an Experience with Oreilly Auto Parts?

Comments

Who rebuilts the starters ultima?

Sounds like you got your money back. Then since you apparently rebought one, didnt have it tested, fool me once shame one you, fool me twice shame on me, 3 time is on you.

Same problems only a starter Now they can't find phone number attached to the warranty. Good luck. Okc, ok

I am about to have to install alternator #3 my self.The first lasted a week the second 24 hrs.

I questioned the first one i purchased because although the case was bright and shiny it looked like someone dipped the regulator in a grease pit.

But seeing i was stuck and it was the only one they stocked i took it.This is why as a parts mgr of a dealer i will not buy anything from them.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States #834701

I also went through three of them (part Number: 05-0613 2002 Pontiac Aztek) This alternator is on GM 3.4L motors so you will find it on impalas...Buick Rendevous's's's's lol anyways many different cars.

I Purchased one alternator installed it (If anyone has done a alternator replacement on a aztek or montana they know what im talking about) which was way more difficult than it should have been. And the alternator had a loud squeak so loud that people were staring at me as i drove by. I gave the alternator a week lowered the motor back down and pulled it back off. I then went back to OReillys and exchanged it for another which i had them test before i left with it and believe it or not straight out of the box the second one did not work at all.

They then sent me across town to get another one which i installed and had the same exact squalling sound. I went to my local pull and pay grabbed an alternator off of a impala and installed it on my car after pulling the new one off. Started my car and have not had a single squeak since. The guy at OReilly tried telling me that the alternator may just need broke in which i feel is incorrect i dont think a new alternator or a pulley on anything new or re manufactured should have to break in before it stops squeaking.

They acted like they didnt want to exchange it at first and then after 40 minutes of them asking me questions such as have you replaced your serpentine belt have you replaced your tension-er...

I love oreilly auto parts they are always helpful and have great quality parts i shop nowhere else but those alternators are making them look bad and they need to tell that company to shove them somewhere lol.In the end 3 bad alternators 2 actual swaps ended up going to the junk yard to get one for 30 dollars (The ultima one i purchased was 172.99) I will never buy another Ultima alternator again.

Dayton, Ohio, United States #757443

I had problems with a starter I purchased from them at the Englewood, Ohio store.It was for my 1999 Ford F 250 powerstroke diesel.

The darn thing kicked on when I was driving back to my shop around the corner from my house and before I could unhook both batteriesit burnt itself up. The starter wasn't even a year old, took it to the Huber Heights, Ohio store they stick it on their testing machine which doesn't put it under a load just spins it. The test showed it was just fine, I told the kid I wasn't reinstalling that pos on my truck and told him to get me a new one. We went around about it finally he gave me a new one.

Half the ppl they hire have no clue about auto parts.I don't recommend buying starters from them.

to automan Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States #800237

2003 Ford Excursion 6.0 Diesel, alternator brushes were worn and started acting up, of course away from home on vacation out in Virginia, 191k miles on the Excursion.Could not find brushes in Virginia.

So Oreilly's was the closest parts store with an alternator. I should have pulled the brushes out for $130. First alternator did not work at all. Second alternator, second day, worked 50% of the time.

So heading back to Wisconsin, third day failed completely while in Missouri. Had to pay for boost and charging of the batteries $37. Found local Oreilly's, changed to the third alternator, it did get us home. Next day, it stopped charging.

Junk voltage regulators!!! Just want my original back to get it rebuild at the local shop for a few bucks!!!

Used to buy brushes for $2.50.:(

plain and simple, I just won't buy any parts from O'reilly anymore.Sure they give you lifetime warranties but you can't get your time back.

I've just installed junk too many times to give them another chance. Now I get my parts from our old hometown auto parts store or from the local Toyota dealer parts dept.

who actually can get anything you need, including American vehicle parts.You get what you pay for.

I too went through 5 alternators and 4 batteries no electrical problems

I will add my comment.I will be on my third alternator coming this week-end.

I had my go bad with the battery going dead this thursday. I recharged the battery drove it 2 city blocks to Oreilly Auto Parts store and had them check the alternator. They said it was low output. I need another one.

I have a new battery, Battery cables, No wire problems. I think these batteries are junk. I have a lifetie warrenty on replacing the alternator, but not the labor. I do the install, as I have mechanical experience.

The only way I can get away from Oreilly alternators is go get the dealers and fork out 229.00.People should not have to go through the trouble all the time with the alternators going bad.