OReilly Auto Parts - battery scam

Jul 08, 2008
review #126643

i recently replaced a battery from oreillys which i had purchased from oreillys 4 years ago when it went bad i went to my local store to replace it as it had 2 yrs prorated warranty left the employee told me it was cheaper to purchase new battery at wholesale than to prorate the new one,because they prorate them at list cost. this practice is ***,i told the salesman this and he told me if i would shut up and listen he would explain.i managed a store for this company 8 yrs ago and i know this is not true .i strongly advise anyone to call the district managers when you encounter a problem

if not call oreillys corperate offices in springfeild missouri and ask for denny smith he will straighten out the problem. he is the most knowlegable person in the company(regional manager) dont let the employees bully you they are only worried about their commisions.this was a very good company to work for dont let a few bad apples ruin your day

aada62c
Had an experience with OReilly Auto Parts?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Lou

Feb 19 San Jose, California

Be aware when you buy a battery at O'Reilleys. It is better to have the old core ready to give it to them. Otherwise they will charge you $15.00 which will give it back to you when you bring the old core. Obviously this does not sound such a bad idea. But what is bad about this is that when eventually you bring the old core they will give you back the $15.00 but not the tax they included for that amount in the first place. They told me that the tax in not returnable. This makes no sense to me even if the practice is correct.

0 1 Reply
Barb20132013

Aug 04, 2013 Yukon, Oklahoma

Purchased a battery two yrs ago with 2yr free replacement and 72 mo prorate, it went dead at 2 yrs and 2mos, When I went back to Oreillys to have them prorate, It was going to cost me the same amount as the original battery. Don't they know what prorate is? I took my dead battery and went to auto zone. Gave me a better deal, and 10percent off just cause of the problems I had with O'reillys. Never again going to O'reillys. They scam you on batteries.

dissapoint

Oct 25, 2012

Well i bought a battery for my car thinking my car battery was dead. But then i had a mechanic look at it and he said it wassent my battery it was something else. I had already connected the cables to my car but never even turned it on. i called oreillys on the phone to ask them about there return policy and they said "if its been used we dont do returns i told him i havent used it just connected the cables, then he said "if its been installed then that means used and we cant return it".

O always

Sep 25, 2012

For every 1 *** customer that purchases a battery at a junkyard with o brand stickers and trie
s to come in and run a warranty on it there are 99 honest people that have valid proof of warranties and given with out hassle. Fyi As we do carry easy penn batteries ur batteries are not prorated off of list price they are prorated off of purchase price. At even five years the price will still be lower then the purchase price and the free replacement will resume for the two/three year depending on warranty purchased. For the retard that thinks we do not rotate batteries we rotate them every month and any battery that passes three months is then given a green date code. For the guy with the car club. Realize that u have systems, hydros or whatever screwed up wiring you think ur a professional at DIY and usually end up screwing everything up but we understand u must blame anyone but yourself. Then yes. OUr battery and any other one u purchase will probably give u only six to twelve months of service. Take it to a professional!!!! We are here to provide excellent customer service!!! We do what we can!

WHY???

Aug 21, 2012

Frankly reading this I just cannot believe it. 1 st why cant people hold on to THEIR receipts? You bought it your are responsible!! 2nd The company you people bought from DOES NOT build the batteries!! Yes that company SHOULD stand behind the product which the company I run DOES, shame on you that don't. 3 rd there is so many people trying to rip off companys we DO have to ask question even if you do not like them. Everyone needs to think back to your fathers and mothers back in the day when companys helped them out because your mothers and fathers where not crying little babies. Oh and ADVANCE does NOT sell ACTION batteries the sell AUTOCRAFT!!! GROW UP PEOPLE

brum747

Jun 07, 2013 Los Angeles, California

yo bro have you ever taken a look at a receipt 6months or so later and I mean just your regular everyday store receipt.it will fade out to nothing and you will have a blank piece of scrap paper. this is why we have technology called computers.And something called customer service.Out of all the minor things being purchased everyday,do you really expect people to keep every single receipt.And even if you do keep them,what if something happens to them that truly wasn't your fault.Ive try to keep my receipts but honestly its a waist of time because you end up losing them or they start fading or pieces of it start fading and get ineligible.

1 0 Reply
marco

Aug 13, 2012

My OAP battery died just after a year of use. It was the two year free replacement one. So, OAP swapped it out for free with a 3 year unit. Well done OAP. You'll have my business again.

yellowrose

Jun 25, 2012

I went into O'Reilleys on Sunday, June 10 to get them to test my battery. They only charged it for 45 minutes and told me my battery was good. They put it back into my car and it wouldn't even start my car up. They had to jump me with cables to start my car up. They tried to tell me that they had no idea where my battery came from but I was told that all the retail stores know who sells what battery. They tried to sell me a new one for over $100; wouldn't you know it; they were out of the $86 one, at all our local stores. Then, Jesse, got on the phone and faked a call to Advance Auto, where I did purchase the battery and said that I was not in their data base either. It was an Action Battery and I had bought it last June at Advance Auto. I am a 60 yr old lady and my 70 yr old female friend had followed me down there to get the battery checked out so I guess they thought we were two old ladies with lots of money!!! Not. I don't think I'll ever buy anything at O'Reilleys again.

Advance Pro

Apr 12, 2012

At Advance we will go off of your date code to keep our customers :) We will help you and install it for you too

Lyon Man

Apr 11, 2012

I purchased a battery from you with your name on it and a date stamp. It failed within one year. When I was sold the battery I was told that the entry in the computer would server for guarantee purposes. Apparently this is a lie told by your employees in order to sell more stuff or to justify entering in contact information in your computers.

Frankly I'm disgusted that your company will not stand by a product with your name on it. This is not a off brand water pump that I could have purchased anywhere. Does your company think I stole this battery and then tried to return it? Why am I your customer forced to eat the cost of a part you built that failed.

I'm sorry to say I don't think I can do any future business with your company and I will make sure to let my friends and local car clubs know how well you stand behind your branded parts.

Lyon Man

Apr 11, 2012

O'rep

Mar 16, 2012

You guys are retards; been selling East Penn batteries for four years. Check your alternators or *** *** you've wired into your car. You guys ASE certified techs. No your not, you're just ***!

Hector

Jan 26, 2012

oreilly las piezas de automóvil en Wichita Kansas no nos dejarán elegir a quienes el almacén de las piezas nosotros compre he estado comprando partes a partir de la 21ra calle por años y ahora su encargado de districto me hace la compra a partir de la 53.a y el meridiano y yo ponemos el `t como ese almacén o él equipo del `s así que utilizaré auto y la más carquest poorman de ahora en adelante usted debe el `t decir una tienda de la cual puedan y no puedan comprar, le conjetura apenas flojo hacia fuera Hector

jimmy from andover

Jan 25, 2012

Their about to go 2 year and three year free replacement and no pro-rating

you can get a better cheaper battery at wal-mart or advanced auto

FYI 4 BATT

Jan 23, 2012

Hey O's EMPL....Dont just straight up LIE about it.The batt's you sell are charged then re-stickered and put right back on the shelf!These stores dont rotate batterys.Which means a battery that a customer just bought could be on the shelf for six to eleven months.You know this is TRUE!Dont Hide from the facts...

O'Reilly's Employee

Jan 23, 2012

Hey FYI 4 BATTERYS, you should really get your facts straight before posting. OAP does rotate batteries. I can't speak for all stores, but at ours we try to do all we can for our customers. BUT, we also have to watch out for those trying to rip the store off. Yes, while we can try to look up records from in the past, the customer also needs to take some RESPONSIBILITY and hang on to their receipts. BUT, the only way we can look up past invoices is if the customer is willing to give us their information to be listed in our database when they make a purchase the first time, and then give us their number so we can access their info for every purchase thereafter. I've experienced it a couple times that someone is not willing to give their name or number, so be it, keep your receipt handy, things do happen.

always

Dec 16, 2011

Hey counter man check your customers history report.Remember that the only reason that you have a job is because that customer with that P.O.S. BATTERY from O'reillys is shopping @ you crappy a$$ store.Keep that in mind next time you punch in.Its called customer service!

ohcounterman

Dec 16, 2011

always..always! keep your receipt it is your proof of purchase..and your warranty!..and keep in mind that some people try to pull a scam such as buying a used car and try to warr the battery just because its an oreilly brand..be responsible keep your receipt..no waa..waa *** on or shouldnt have to..do you keep your car title? put your important car receipts with it!

leonard outman

Oct 13, 2011 Sha Tin, Hong Kong

called oreilly's this morning they say battery is the right one for car . one inch too small front to back two inches to small end to end . no refund. no exchange . you are just S--T out of luck Leonard.

leonard outman

Oct 12, 2011 Sha Tin, Hong Kong

I took my old battery to oreillys they put a test on it and said it was bad. I buoght a new one from them. my machanic said it was the wrong battery and too small.I took it back and they can't give me a new one unless this one is bad . and can't replace it either DUH? out $200.00 .

1-20 of 51 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about OReilly Auto Parts.
Filing a new complaint about
×